Gas powered 2 stroke augers certainly provide a lot of power, enough to make quick work of a dozen holes in the ice. But just like in the power tool world lithium battery technology is on a constant march towards replacing traditionally gas-powered tools. All we can say is, welcome to the electric ice auger revolution!
Battery power has a lot of benefits over traditional gas and propane augers. There are no fumes to chase you out of the shelter, no pull cords to curse at, and they are ultra quiet. Electric augers also start instantly and never need to warm up.
To be clear, electric augers cost a fair bit more than a comparable gas version (for time being at least). In this guide we hope to show you the benefits of electric are beginning to outweigh the price difference. Ion currently produces the best electric ice auger for the money, but there are a few other good options to explore. If you are serious about your ice fishing, you need to check these out.
- Top 5 Electric Ice Augers at a Glance
- Why You Should go Electric
- Top Electric Ice Auger Comparison
- Electric Ice Auger Reviews
Top 5 Electric Ice Augers at a Glance
- ION X 40V Lithium 8″ – Editor’s Choice: Best Overall Electric Auger
- StrikeMaster Lithium 40V 8″ – Best alternative to the ION X
- ION 40V Lithium 8″ – Best selling electric ice auger
- RAZR 40V Lithium 8″ – Most affordable battery ice auger
- RAZR 24V Lithium 8″ – Best cheap electric ice auger
Why You Should go Electric
Here is Hall of Fame fisherman and Outdoor Canada Magazine’s Gord Pyzer, telling us about his experiences with our top pick ION X 40 Volt ice auger.
After using it on a multi-day group trip in Manitoba, he became convinced the Ion (and battery technology) is a game changer.
Top Electric Ice Auger Comparison
*Last updated 2018-02-25 at 10:37 / Product info from Amazon Product Advertising API
Electric Ice Auger Reviews
Editor’s Choice – ION X 40V Electric Ice Auger
They redesigned much of the auger, and the result is the best electric ice auger money can buy. ION X sets the standard all other electrics are judged by.
What’s New with the ION X
The biggest upgrade to the ION X is the new XC5 battery pack. The capacity has grown from 3 Ah to 5 Ah, increasing the amount of ice you can drill to an impressive 1,600 inches on a single charge. In comparison, the 3 Ah ION can drill 1,000 inches of ice per charge.
The power head had been redesigned to include a reverse, and brings the handles closer in to the planetary gear transmission. Drilling indoors has never been easier. There is now also a bright LED spotlight under the housing to illuminate the ice while drilling at night.
Finally, ION X has an all new cast aluminum cutting head with a centering chisel tip. This feature helps prevent slippage and wandering at the beginning of drilling a hole. The result is smoother, more precise hole drilling.
ION X Features / Model #29250
- XC5 Battery Pack: 40V and 5 amp-hours provide 1,600 inches of steady drilling power per charge.
- Compatible with your old ION battery packs for backup power.
- Brushless electric motor with a planetary gear transmission.
- At 22 pounds, the ION X is one of the lightest ice augers.
- 34-inch steel auger shaft, each ION X comes with a 12” extension for 46” maximum drill depth.
- The reverse function drives slush down and away from your hole.
- Ergonomic aluminum handle design, with molded grips. Narrow enough to drill inside an ice shanty.
- The cast aluminum cutting head has a chisel tip for piloting clean holes.
- 1-year warranty on the battery, 2-year auger warranty.
ION X Accessories (Sold Separately)
If you are in the market for a new auger, you owe it to yourself to consider the ION X or one of the other battery augers below. The ION X is powerful, with a large capacity, able to meet most ice anglers fishing requirements.
The ION X is not a cheap auger. Even so, factoring the benefits and convenience of battery power, now is a great time to make the leap to electric. After a day or two of instant, exhaust and mess free hole drilling, you may just forget about your old gas auger entirely.
Runner Up – StrikeMaster Lithium 40V Ice Auger
StrikeMaster is a big name in ice fishing, but they are playing a little catchup in the Lithium ice auger market.
It’s important to note this is NOT the “Lithium Lazer”, that model is older and more comparable to the original ION. The all new StrikeMaster Lithium 40V is directly comparable to the ION X.
What’s New / Overview
First up is the new 5 amp-hour Lithium Ion battery pack and charger. Just like the ION X, the battery pack has tons of juice to drill holes. Rapala says the battery can power through 100+ holes on the 8-inch model and 70 on the 10-inch, which is on par with the ION X. Interestingly there is no 6-inch version.
The powerhead has been redesigned from the ground up. The battery, housing, and transmission rest atop a rigid plastic frame with impact resistant handles. To start the auger all you do is push the big red button on the handle. Reverse at the flick of a switch to flush chips and slush under water.
StrikeMaster Lithium Features / Model #LFVL-8
- 40V, 5 amp-hour rechargeable lithium ion battery.
- 2-amp rapid charging station achieves full charge in 2-1/2 hours.
- Push button power and reverse, with a failsafe safety switch.
- The same twin serrated Lazer auger blades that are so popular on the gas StrikeMasters.
- DC brushless motor and a high torque 15.9:1 planetary gear transmission.
StrikerMaster Lithium vs ION X
The most obvious question is how this new auger stacks up against the leading ION X. What you’ll see in the table below is the specs are very close. Both augers use rechargeable lithium ion battery technology, and have nearly identical specs. The ION X is lighter by 2 pounds, but the StrikeMaster has the slightly better warranty.
|Auger:||Ion X:||StrikeMaster Lithium:|
|Battery:||40V / 5 aH||40V / 5 aH|
|Weight:||22 lbs||24 lbs|
|Length:||34" + 12" Extension||?|
|Sizes:||8" and 10"||8" and 10"|
|Warranty:||2 year motor / 1 year battery||2 year motor and battery|
Best Seller – ION 40V Electric Ice Auger
If the price of the ION X intimidates you, then take a good look at its predecessor, the original ION Ice Auger. This is the best selling electric ice auger that people have been using for years. It has most of the high-tech features of the ION X, but at a more affordable price.
ION Auger Overview
The ION is a 40V ice auger, but with a slightly smaller battery capacity of 3 amp-hours. That is still more than enough to cut 1,000 inches (ION 8”) on the of ice on a single battery charge. 1,000 inches is more than enough to meet the fishing needs of many ice anglers. If you need more, the ION 6” can cut a whopping 1,800” of ice.
The cutting head has centering guide ring and straight though blades for smoother hole edges. Make sure you get the Model #19150 to ensure you get the reverse feature. The blades are very sharp out of the box, and should last a year or two with normal use.
Like it’s big brother, the ION 8” weighs just 22 pounds, and can extend from 34 to 46 inches with the included extension tube. You won’t win many races with the ION, but keep the battery warm in your pocket and you will have smooth and steady hole drilling all day long.
ION 8” Features / Model #19150
- 3 amp-hour battery pack provides the ION 8” with power for 1,000 inches of hole cutting, and 1,800 inches on the ION 6”.
- ION battery packs are cross compatible between ION and ION X.
- Brushless electric motor with a planetary gear transmission.
- Weighs just 22 pounds.
- Standard 34-inch auger length, plus 12” extension (included with auger).
- Flush slush down the tubes with the reverse function.
- 2-year powertrain warranty, 1-year battery pack warranty.
Best Cheap Option – RAZR Lithium 40V
RAZR is an upstart company that is offering a pretty solid electric auger for a more affordable price.
The 40V lithium auger has all the features of the ION X or StrikeMaster, but is a few hundred bucks cheaper. For those on a tight budget, this is your ice drill.
RAZR 40V on Sportsman’s Guide
Features & Overview / Model REA8200R
The RAZR 40V auger is 6 pounds heavier than the ION X, but some will consider that an even trade off considering the lower price. The extra weight could be because it is a full length 40 inch auger, whereas the ION need to add the extension to reach that length.
Being a newer brand you might be wondering if it’s any good. Wisconsin Fisherman put it to the test for us, drilling 127 holes through 12 inch ice on a single charge. That’s approximately 1,524 inches of ice, putting the RAZR right up there with the ION X and StrikeMaster. Pretty solid performance!
- 40V and 7 amp-hour rechargeable lithium ion battery pack provides hours of steady power.
- Full size 40″ auger length, no extensions required.
- Twin curved Stainless Steel blades.
- LED hole light for lighting up the night ice, as well as your shelter.
- Weighs 28lbs, making it comparable to many gas powered augers.
- Brushless motor, die cast aluminum transmission, now with REVERSE.
- 3-year auger warranty, 1-year battery pack warranty.
RAZR 40V on Sportsman’s Guide